Friday, October 8, 2010

Running over birds and elderly people

Don't be alarmed by the title. I managed to not do ether of those things. But It was hard not to at the race last weekend as someone had thrown some seeds on the course and every time a came around there would be a flock of them to dodge. This could be a new course standard for cross races as it adds another skill to master.

Anyways the race was great. Got lined up second row because A newcomer fresh out of junior sniped my spot on the front row. No matter. Just sat in for the start and let him destroy himself for a bit. Then I took the lead and settled into a nice hard pace. Looked back a lap later and no body was there. So I figured I was doing something right so I kept that high pace and made sure to punch it on the hard parts of the course. Speaking of the course I'm really glad to see that Ziggy has upped the level of course design for nationals. It was Quality with Good hard sections to put yourself in the hurt locker and awesome tech sections to keep you on your toes. So back to the race. I could see how much of a gap I had each lap and every lap it was opening more and more. It was a good feeling to be off the front like that but I missed having to chase Mr. Watson around. Ended up taking the win by 2mins. It was a fun race and I look forward to the race this weekend as it's put on by the same organizers and I'm hoping for an equally fun course.

Training this week has been going well. Most of my time is spent on the cross bike in the woods or at parks. The only problem with that is sometimes you scare the walkers. For example I came up on a pair of elderly women the other day. I wasn't going fast so that I wouldn't freak them out. I nicely called to let them now I was behind them. But with no reaction. Then I noticed the hearing aids. So I figured i would have to call louder to be heard. And So I called louder. Still no reply. So I called out almost yelling this time and they both jumped out of fear. And as I rode by I received a slur of verbal abuse for scaring them. Oh well I tried being a nice guy.

That's all I have to tell right now. Exciting stuff eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment